Tuesday, October 21, 2008

American Ghosts to a cinah girh... ( girl )

The ghosts in America had names... Fredy Kruger, The flying Dutchman, Carrie.. they were violent and malevolent.. they had been wronged and had returned for revenge. Unlike the Chinaman they were not seeking rest.. they longed for blood of those who presecuted them! They were interactive ghosts !!!



As a student I loved the American outdoors. I had consumed Enid Blyton books I had imagined every nook , every tree house, every wild wooded out-door adventure you could possibly cook up. I loved sleeping under the stars, listening to the night owl and listening to the splash of the otter in the Wisconsin lake.. Then... they brought me to watch the Chainsaw Massacres..Night mare on Elm street..every shadow in the woods began to take on an odd shape. I thought I had escaped the Flying Chinaman and his haunted cleaver but no .. the ghosts in America lived on streets, in Highschools and on camp grounds. In phone boothes, bathtubs and abandoned motels!



Who was the fool who said " ghosts can't chase you over water.." Probably a chinese spiritualist who never travelled !



The more I read about them.. the more I watched them my world became smaller. I never enjoyed camping again as I watched the woods suspicious that someone would know what I did last summer. If I lived on a street.. I'd make sure it was any other kinda wood except Elm. If I met a Carrie in any one of my classes , I made sure I treated her very well..and if Jeff and I travelled.. I made sure our Motel room was close to the road so that if anything should happen I'd be able to run for help !!



Fear is a terrible thing. It cripples you and it plays with your mind. Like a cat toying with a mouse.. it eats you up from the inside out..It limits your confidence and the ability to enjoy the moment because you are constantly thinking of what's the next bad thing that's going to happen. Fear creates Ghosts where there are none...and suddenly you're being haunted even thou no one you know is dead..

1 comment: