Wednesday, October 22, 2008

For Realllllllll !!!! Cross my heart !!

My daughter has been reading my blog and she asks how come my ghost stories sound like those in Singapore Ghost Stories… I dunno, I never read them the Chinaman and Cleaver encounter is true.. But as I was driving this evening I remembered something else..

My mum and dad had had a huge fight.. magnified by the fact that I was perhaps only 5 or 6 at the time. It was a “ she said he said” thing which I now find perfectly normal to do with my husband . But like I said, parental fights to a 6 year older is like.. the sky falling down on chicken little.

I remember my mother crying and crawling into my bed. She told me that tomorrow we would pack our bags and go up to Klang to visit with her mother for a while. She said we would be going a long time and so I had to sleep well tonight and she would pack all my favourite things tomorrow. I asked her if we were going to drive Papa’s car up to Klang again and that’s when she said “ Your Papa is not coming. We are leaving him behind. I don’t know when we will see him again.”

Heart stopped. Jaw dropped. What’s this? We are leaving Papa at home alone? For how long? “ Sleep girl. Sleep .. tomorrow we take the train.” Sniffed my distraught mother.

That night it felt like the sky did fall down on chicken little. I had no idea what was going on, but even at 6 I knew this was no ordinary fight. As I tried to sleep I turned to face the table light next to my bed and that’s when I saw Him. I recognised Him instantly.. He was the Jesus in my Sunday school class.. the Jesus in my story books.. He looked like Jesus right down to the flowing white gown.

I stared at Him and blinked. I could’nt believe Jesus was sitting on my table next to my night light. I struggled to call my mum who was sniffling but apparently had fallen asleep.. it was just Him and me. I wanted to climb out of bed.. touch Him to see if He was real. He looked at me with kind eyes and said “ I shall never leave you nor forsake you..” then just like that He kinda vanished.

He will never leave me nor forsake me..I had no idea it was a verse from the bible at the time. It was many years later that I was to encounter Him again.. But since Jesus is Jesus.. I don’t count Him as a ghost.. so Yeah Michelle, the Chinaman and his cleaver was my first encounter with a ghost.. even if he was conjured by a frantic house help probably looking for a way to gain some extra vacation time from her Tow Kay Neo.

Hindsight and experience is a wonderful thing. In my more mature state I too have had maids who have pleaded to go home because some dead relative had come a calling in their sleep !

No comments: