Sunday, February 1, 2009

Missing you...


I was singing with the worship team yesterday when I saw him.. he looked the same as when he was a boy. A cheeky " I am in church because my parents brought me" look. He sat down and from where I was he did'nt look much different than he was when he was 16.
He is my best friend's only son . We havent seen each other for nearly 8 years. The last time being at his mum's funeral. It was as if time stood still and if I walked up to him I could ask " Hey, how are you? Where's mum ?"


He was a terror when he was younger. Hahah he and I used to " fight" for his mum's attention. I thought she was too attentive and should let him be.. and he thought she was too pre-occupied with me ! He got into everything and anything.. the Sunday school teachers were stretched. She worried about his friends, about his food , about his studies.. the usual.


Today he's graduated and he's going on to pursue a Master's in Media. He has a girlfriend and when I look at her I think of how much fun my friend would have had with this girl.. a prospective daughter she's longed for. He's gotten through all the teenage angst ..only to carry some forward to adulthood.. well some things take time.


It made me nostalgic to see her one more time. She would have been so proud to come back with him to visit. Proud and anxious.. but that's what mum's are for... the nest is never really empty and the children never really grow up in our eyes. She would have loved this moment. Coming back to Kuching with her grown up son and a daughter in spirit... See, I told you He would give you more kids Lil' ! :)

No comments: