Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Little bits of history....

When I was 18 my mother took to the vaults down at HSBC . It was a strange occasion as I had never been down there before and I did'nt know why I was following her down there that day. I remember thinking.. WOW.. this is a bank vault and looking up at the walls of safety deposit boxes imagining the tiaras, diamonds and ingots that were stacked in there..ok so my imagination was active even then !!.. stacks of cash in the millions, secret documents.. I wondered what treasure my mother would unfold !


Even the air in the vaults was different. It was'nt stale or mouldy as I expected but the air was dignified.. still.. people spoke but their tones were hushed.. there were no crowds only mum, me and the vault officer. We stopped and the officer asked my mum for her key and together with his key .. the box slowly opened...


Inside were her wedding photos and pictures of me when I was a baby. It held my baby trinkets . Her engagement ring.. my grandparents and their photos .. jewellery she had collected through the years. She explained to me who gave her what and told me which pieces came from my grandparents for me. She showed me the deeds to our house and explained what all the documents were and then she said." This is your history. Each piece has a story of its own . The pictures I keep here because I dont know how long those at home will last. Each item has a story of how people met, celebrated life or simply survived. Their value is not in it's material worth but in the stories behind them. One day you will add your history to a box like this and it will be something for you to pass on to your children."


Today is my daughter's 18th birthday and I brought her to my box at HSBC. I had to get permission for her to go in with me . I opened up my box and showed her the first ring Jeff ever gave me . A SEAP games coin from my dad.( Now the Asean games ) My mum and her big coloured rings which she bought at some night market during her first trip to Hong Kong. I was telling her about her history. About people she had seldom met, whose passion for somethings gave their characters life. At the end of it all I said to her, " Each piece is your history. About your dad and I, your grandparents. Every item has a story . It's a story about your family and your family's family. Their value is not material but in the memories it carries. about a generation of people who collected things though seemingly cosmetic ,played a part in celebrating a family event. One day you will add your history to a box like this. "

No comments: