Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a sick dog taught me...


Sometimes we go through life not realising what we truly have until it is gone or threatened. Take Bella for example for the past five years we have cared for her and gone for walks and done all the pet things with her .. everything perhaps but value her presence.


I remember the next day after I sent her to the vet I did'nt want to open the door because I knew that when I did, a whole lot of emptiness was going to greet me. I sit in my room / office and there's only silence where her hot and heavy breathing used to resound.

It's only when they are not around that one begins to think.. hey it was good to hear this or smell that.. How many of us treat each other the same way? Only to miss a friend when he or she is no longer with us? So used to the fact that they are there and that them going away never even occured in our minds.


But the truth is, life is unpredictable. You never know when illness will strike or when someone will get transfered. You may say a careless word only to find that it hurt more than you intended and then the relationship is broken, to be mended but never quite the same. When a loved one passes on telling them how great they were when they were around is just too late.. better enjoy each moment you have so that when parting comes.. you'd have stored up enough goodness and memories to to last you a lifetime.
p.s Yes, Bella is still alive n doing well.. just maudlin today...

No comments: