Monday, January 5, 2009

The new 50's is just 40....

Haha.. as we bridged the New Year my husband of 22 years seemed a little morose.. I asked him why and he said " we're closer to 50 than we were last year !"

The great big FIve- O ! what does it really mean to be 50?
Well in my mum's day 50 was a big deal. I speculate that in my great grand parents days it was an even bigger deal as the rate of mortality probably was'nt so high! Today when people pass on at 60 the first thing I hear is " wah he is so young.."The fiftieth birthday back then was a hallmark of a vernerable age, a passing of middle age into an elderly status of wisdom and respect. One wore with the age of 50 ,a certain mystique and class of having passed through the many stages of irrascability into the cirlce of elderly reverence..

But today.. I hear the 50's is the new 40's.. an age of having accomplished and bypassed all the passions and heartaches of the 20's, indecisions and ambitions of the 30's into an acomplished poised 40's era where we are comfortable in our own skin.. which by the way at 50.. can look like your 30's today ! ( what with botox and whatever !)

So what is 50? In today's terms it's just another number another marker in time. With the help of Marie France , facial boutiques, serums and anti serums, spas , line dance, yoga and what not.... let us stretttccchhhh our time a little.. Let us not worry about tomorrow for surely it will only make us buy more expensive wrinkle cream! I am young today. I'll take what I've got. Maybe at 65 I'll start to worry since at 65 I've truely entered into today's version of the venerable 50's !!

No comments: